Monday, February 27, 2012

////

The Gift of New Perspectives



This weekend, which was also mid-term break for us college folk, I had the pleasure of experiencing good ole Freeport with an interesting French twist. I was invited by my french professor to accompany her and a friend who was visiting from France to some weekend activities. Naturally, I was thrilled at the idea! I've always admired French culture -its people, food, music, tradition, language...- so the thought of experiencing it (despite being hundreds of miles away from the country) was a lovely prospect. All in all, I had a fantastic time. I learned a lot about myself and my country, and now possess an even great love and appreciation for French culture.


What characters, these two! Paul, the older of the two, and Jules, the timid younger brother, were so much fun to be with! Though, at first, I must admit that I was worried that communication between the two and I would prove to be a disaster since they knew very little English and I'm not as fluent in French as I would like to be. However, after a few dozen mid-conversation interruptions (to double check translations with my professor), communicating with one another became increasingly less difficult.


Chocolate mousse! That was the first to-do of our day's activities and the entire time, I was in awe. I remember thinking, "Wow, this should be interesting!" Sure enough, we made good fun out of preparing the delicate dessert.
You would think I had never seen people prepare a meal, but there was something extra -something so foreign, yet authentic- about watching Jules and Paul work in the kitchen with their mother. The way they communicated; their movements and expressions, and the smells and sounds that filled the kitchen were ideal.
Unfortunately, we couldn't contain ourselves and ate it all once it was done (about six hours later). I didn't have a chance to photograph it!





After our little cooking class, we went down to one of the local beaches. Williams Town beach was our choice. Me, being a local, anyone would presume that I go to the beach all day, everyday. Eh... not exactly. To be honest, this was the first time in a long time I spent a day at the beach (and actually went in the ocean.)

It was a good day.





3 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. Unknown said... 2/29/2012 9:44 am

    these photos are gorgeous! YOu've got a great eye for photography--THe lighting is just perfect!

    come check out my Color Issue blog...I think youd really enjoy it!
    colorissue.blogspot.com

    xoxo
    Aarean

  2. The Local Blogger said... 3/01/2012 10:13 am

    @AaReAn
    Haha, thank you! I'd be glad to check out your blog.

    xo

  3. Leonor said... 3/05/2012 4:00 am

    omg!! such a sweet post!!!

    Leonor
    http://thesparklinglemon.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment